Monday, October 31, 2011

Three Bowhead Whales

Three whales are better than one.

The cry went out at work that bowhead whales where in the inlet and after most of us seeing them from the windows all of work emptied out for the chase.  Of course this hunt was done with cameras.  I did get a couple of good photos but some folks went out and chased them in boats which obviously irritated them.  After that they dove down and only came up a couple more times.

It was two years ago that Michele and I got the photos of a bowhead whale that came into Tellik Inlet.  You can find those post here and here.  We were the only ones that got a photo with the tail in the air.

I guess if a person is to start blogging on a regular basis again this is a good way to start.

The photos are not of the best quality just given that it was the worst time of day and weather for them.  It was getting dark (4:00pm) and overcast.  Tried to fix them up as best as I could in Photoshop.

Enjoy.

Three are better than one.  Think it was a  mother and two young ones.

Got one of the young ones blowing some air.

The last good site of them going around the point. 
 That is just the top of their heads sticking out of the water.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always a fantastic sight. I vividly remember my first bowhead viewing a few years ago in Qikiqtarjuaq. Difficult to put into words but something you never forget.

bea's blog said...

How lucky you are; something we will hardly see here.
So far I 've only seen some small porpoise in the Baltic Sea.
Best regards from Europe
Beatrice
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MOM said...

awsum!!

Valladolid Daily Photo said...

You are very lucky. Congratulations for the post.

Judy said...

That is an awesome sight! I saw a small pod off the coast of Oregon this fall. Something I will never forget.
Glad you are back!

Sarah said...

Awesome! I still remember the first time I saw them when I was out boating...

honeymoon bed breakfast luray va said...

That’s good you had good photos. You should visit place which are full of nature and take photographs. Moreover, you are lucky to see them.