Friday, September 5, 2008

Price of Food

Couple of days ago I told Michele I would pick up the onion we needed for supper that night. So I went to the Northern and picked up a solitary onion. It looked lonely and forgotten and all I could think about was how good it would taste after I hacked it apart.

When I arrived at the check out the clerk looked me right in the eye and said "That will be $3.99 please." A look of horror must have crossed my face because her next line was "Will there be anything else?" All I could say was "I don't get paid until Friday!"

6 comments:

jen said...

I think what's more of a horror is 6 red delicious apples for $8!!

Apparently those same apples are only $3.50 over at the co-op...wonder why they are cheaper. Wonder if your onion would be cheaper over there too?

Matthew & Michele said...

Everyone has said (including Michele)that I should have purchased them at the Co-op. Lesson learned.

Anonymous said...

LMAO.
Yeah dad, you keep going to the Northern, and you will break the piggy bank! Even i know that CO-OP is more cheaper, aaannnndddd, they do tend to have better quality produce!

bea's blog said...

....wow...but you never loose your sense of humour!!!
What a special little story...
Beatrice

Aida said...

very strange..the other way around here..cheaper at northern than the co-op. with 2 young kids, unfortunately i always gulped at our produce bill since we want them to try everything...

Shelley said...

I read the Ventures "sea lift sale" flyer to my daughter, she gasped then doubled over...the kicker 6 tins of coffee (1.1kg) for $107.99...or maybe it was the paper towels at the rock bottom price of $8.33/pk available by the case for a hundred bucks!