Friday, April 13, 2007

Kimmirut

I have no pictures of Kimmirut but a couple of stories. Kimmirut is named after a jut of rock that looks like a heel. Kimmirut is inuktitut for heel. I was pleasantly surprised when I got there and seen the rock. It is as if a giant fell head first into the world and all that was left sticking out was the giants heel. Kimmirut has about a 30 foot tide and it creates an ice wall just below the heel. I wasn't brave enough to go walk out but i seen people walking along the top of it. The food the co-op hotel was excellent. You didn't ask what was for supper you made sure the cook knew you were coming for supper. I had some free time while I waited for my flight out and stoped into the community visitors center. Upstairs it is like a museum with many items that were either donated by the residence or found in the park. The park has the only trees in all of Baffin Island. They are willow trees with some of them topping out at 3 meters. Everyone that I met was friendly and welcoming the whole time I was in Kimmirut. Due to a communication error with the office I wasn't able to get out on the first flight and had to go with the second plane out that was taking cargo. That was neat it was like my own private charter. As we were leaving I hollered out '' to Iqaluit James! '' which I thought was very funny. Given the nearly vertical climb off the end of the runway I gather the pilots didn't have my sense of good humour. I realize that a twin otter aircraft can't do a vertical climb but it felt like it. :) Well that was my trip to Kimmirut. Next is my trip to Pangnirtung and Qikiqtarjuaq. Lots of pictures coming. Once again thanks to everyone who likes to read this blog and your Patience.

7 comments:

MCpl Price said...

sounds like fun bro.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Kathy Says:

Hi! Matthew and Michelle, I finally found your blog again. Great story Matt. I hope everyone is doing good, you Mum keeps me posted to. All is well here, the water is starting ot rise but should be ok this year. Back at ya soon.

oxox

Living in Cape Dorset said...

Michelle

I tried to send you the pictures through this site but it doesn't seem to want to work. Can you send me your e-mail address to
bmacmillan at (@) qikiqtani dot(.) edu dot(.) nu dot(.) ca

Thanks
Blake

Anonymous said...

April 26/07 Aunt Kathy:

Just wanted to say Hi and tell you have lots of water if you need some. Flooding along the Saint John River but we are ok. It's supposed to go down some tonight. Everyone is doing fine, waiting for Mark to come home, can't wait! Hope this finds you two ok and the animals as well. Have they adjusted yet?
Lots of Love and Hugs!
Aunt Kathy oxoxo

Anonymous said...

April 26/07 Aunt Kathy:

Just wanted to say Hi and tell you have lots of water if you need some. Flooding along the Saint John River but we are ok. It's supposed to go down some tonight. Everyone is doing fine, waiting for Mark to come home, can't wait! Hope this finds you two ok and the animals as well. Have they adjusted yet?
Lots of Love and Hugs!
Aunt Kathy oxoxo

Anonymous said...

hey guys haven't seen any new photos in a while neat pics.....deb here from good old sussex nb....not sure what your email address is could you send it out to me at harrid5@tdbank.ca...got something coming up in december if i don't hear from you ...i will phone...have a super day.........debbie harris

Anonymous said...

Hi Matthew,

I have a question/request for a piece we're working on in Up Here magazine related to your blog. Can you email me at katharine@uphere.ca? Thanks!

Katharine, editor